7 Common Household Items That Are Toxic to Dogs

Dog owners know that there is nothing better than seeing your happy pup waiting for you at the door after a stressful day of work. People naturally enjoy the company of animals, and having a pet can dramatically increase a person’s quality of life. Owning a faithful companion doesn’t only bring happiness and joy to life, but is also known to provide health benefits as well. Whether it be a dog or cat, our pets become our family. Pet owners do their best to keep their beloved pets safe and secure. However, taking care of a dog is not always as easy as it seems. In January, dog lovers shared a harrowing story about five dogs who lost their lives due to ingesting Fluorouracil Cream – a skin cancer cream. Pharmacists have warned pet owners about the toxicity of these types of products and the harm they can present to our four-legged family members.

Unfortunately, there are other common household items that can pose a threat to our beloved companions.

Check out the list below to find out how you can take part in keeping your furry friend safe.

1) Chocolate, Coffee, and Caffeine

Your favorite mood boosters such as chocolate, coffee, and caffeine are dangerous for dogs because they consist of a complex chemical compound known as “methylxanthine”.  Ingestion of methylxanthines can cause diarrhea, vomiting, hyperactivity, seizures, abnormal heart rhythm, and sometimes death. According to the American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, coffee beans share similar chemical properties to the dangerous chemical compound. If you are a dog owner, be sure to keep these three products at a safe distance from your pet. I think we can all agree that it’s better to be safe than sorry. 

2) Medication

Medication is something that you will find in every household, whether it’s kept for an emergency or taken as part of your daily routine.  Even though these medications are beneficial to humans, they are highly toxic to your pet. Medications like Advil, Aleve, and Motrin can cause ulcers and kidney failure. Painkillers, cold medications, ointments, and creams should be stored away in a safe place. Remember, your pet’s metabolism is different than yours. Even though a human’s body can handle these items, a dog’s system cannot.

3) Lilies and Home Plants

When it comes to interior decorating, flowers can be a simple addition that add life and color to a home. One popular flower choice is the well-known lily. They are undoubtedly beautiful, but unfortunately, they are also known to be harmful if ingested by a dog. Lilies contain colchicine alkaloids, a substance that can cause damage to a dog’s blood cells and cause heart rhythm issues. Other common plants including mistletoe, philodendron, and azaleas can also be toxic.

4) Onions

Onions are another common kitchen staple that can pose a threat to your favorite pooch. These widely used vegetables contain thiosulphate, a substance that can burst a dog’s red blood cells. And be careful, onion powder is known to be an even greater threat to a dog than the actual vegetable. If you’re offering pre-made food to your pet, make sure to check the label for this potentially life-threatening ingredient.   

5) Alcohol

    Alcohol should never be given to a pet as it can cause severe damage to their system. Diarrhea, vomiting, and breathing are all complications associated with alcohol consumption that can lead to a dog’s fatality. As a pet owner, keep in mind that dogs can find alcohol in unlikely places, such as rum-soaked fruitcakes, aftershave, and mouthwash.

    6) Grapes and Raisins

    Grapes and raisins can cause renal failure in dogs. Unfortunately, researchers have not been able to explain what part of the fruit is responsible for causing damage to a dog’s system. Watch out for cookies and other treats you may feed your dog because many of these treats contain raisins and other common fruit that can actually do your dog major harm.

    7) Sugar-Free Candy and Gum

    Sweeteners, like Xylitol, can be beneficial to a person but are not easily digested by dogs.  Dogs who consume Xylitol have suffered from liver failure and hypoglycemia. Considering the fact that candy is easily lost, it may be best to keep treats containing Xylitol out of your home environment.

    Remember, a simple mistake can cause detrimental damage to the health of your pet.  Our furry friends are part of the family, so why not treat them with premium pet snacks that combine delectable flavors with optimal nutrition?

    Shop from Pampered Pet Treats, as we only use the finest ingredients to bake our treats.

    Author: Michelle Anastasio-Festi

    Photo Courtesy: Morningstar Pet Hospital